With re-runs and holiday specials taking over television (I mean, no more Homeland) and the weather getting gloomier it is the perfect time of year to grab a book or two that will help your career this holiday. We asked our team at Levo and our community for a few female career specific recommendations and this is what we heard. Let us know your favorite career book in the comments!
- Knowing Your Value by Mika Brzezinski Read this book if you need advice and confidence to ask for a raise this year! Mika is the co-host of Morning Joe and took a fascinating approach to telling her story of how she finally asked for more late(r) in her career.
- The Best Advice I Ever Got: Lessons from Extraordinary Lives by Katie Couric Katie has access to some of the most fascinating people in the world. This book is for you if you want to be inspired to take risks and push yourself.
- Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever The book for you if you are interested in why you may not be asking and how to overcome your fears of asking for more. Professor Babcock gives practical steps to get you comfortable with asking for what you want this year.
- Brag!: The Art of Tooting Your Own Horn Without Blowing It by Peggy Klaus Self-promotion is awkward. Peggy’s book helps you understand why you need to brag and how to do it in a way that makes you comfortable. Some of the suggestions are a bit of a stretch, but if you pull out a couple of her tips you will be well on your way to being a better advocate for yourself.
- How Remarkable Women Lead by Joanna Barsh and Susie Cranston Joanna Barsh is a senior Director at McKinsey & Company and has access to some of the most influential businesswomen in the world. In this book she works to understand how these successful women became successful and how they get after it each and every day. Read this if you want to be inspired and learn about the key factors women leaders have in common. Hint: Optimism is one of them.
- 20-Something, 20-Everything by Christine Hassler Levo LOVES Christine. This book is for you if you need that pick-me-up-out-of-a-slump and want to know that it will be okay. This book will help you feel better about yourself, love yourself and help you build better relationships with those in your life.