Yesterday, Facebook invited the media to attend an event at its headquarters on Jan. 15. “Come and see what we’re building,” it says … but adds nothing more about what might actually be revealed.
The press has handled the announcement with its usual degree of calm and maturity — and is totally freaking out, speculating wildly, and prophesying doom.
- Facebook will launch a smartphone, says IBNLive.
- Facebook will shut down forever on Jan. 15, says, er, The Weekly World News.
- The event will last “hours,” Mashable believes.
- It could be a laptop/tablet, something to do with Skype, or just some new software, says Tech Hunter (at least they covered the bases).
- Facebook will restrict the amount of text you can use on your cover images that same day, per Entrepreneur.
- It might be a new cyborg plug-in for your brain, says Gizmodo (or maybe a phone).
- It will be “something big” The Verge bets (even though Facebook has held meet-and-greets for the press before at which they’ve announced nothing more than a small open bar).
- CEO Mark Zuckerberg will “bore journalists with more details and graphs of Facebook’s social graph,” says Mobile N Apps.
Recommended For You: