Guest blogger Lewis Howes is a lifestyle expert, author, and go-to internet marketing guru behind the popular podcast, The School of Greatness (often featured as a #1 podcast on iTunes, reaching nearly a million downloads per month). Howes interviews the most brilliant minds in business, world class athletes, and inspiring influencers, who reflect on their own stories and share key advice and specific habits, beliefs and actions, which are required for greatness. Notable guests have included Anthony Robbins, Arianna Huffington, Julianne Hough, Scooter Braun, Tim Ferriss, Marie Forleo, and Jack Canfield. His new book, The School of Greatness: A Real-World Guide To Living Your Dreams, Making an Impact, and Leaving a Lasting Legacy (www.greatnessbook.com), is out now.
1. Create a vision. Think about what you want to create in your business and how you want to live – as if anything is possible. Without a crystal clear vision of what you are going to accomplish, you won’t know where to start. If you need to try on a few ideas before you commit, go ahead, but take action and start creating something you are excited about.
2. Turn adversity into advantage. Adversity serves as a choicepoint for each one of us. We can choose to play into a victim mindset and give our power away or we can use challenges as opportunities to learn, grow, and become stronger. As soon as you realize you have a choice in adversity, you also realize you are in control. This is huge when you are making important decisions in your business.
3. Cultivate a champion’s mindset. An unshakeable belief in yourself and your potential may sound like a tall order but it’s 100% possible to create. In fact, it’s essential if you want to graduate from average to great. Reconnect with your strengths, your passion, and your ambition and cement those into your mindset.
4. Develop a hustle. If you are going to be great, you have to be willing to do what average people are unwilling to do. Hustle means sacrifice, sweat, hard work, long days, and crazy determination – but it’s also worth it. When you hustle you are in good company; it’s how all the A-players got to where they are. Hustle is what will close the gap between the results you want in your business and where you currently are.
5. Master your body. The truth is that your body is the vehicle that allows you to do what you were born to do. Once you respect that, you’ll find the discipline to take care of your body and constantly work on improving it. Taking care of your body means you will have the mental clarity, physical energy, and confidence to lead your business exactly where you want it to go.
6. Practice positive habits. We are all experts at forming and keeping habits—some of them are good and a lot of them are bad. A huge part of greatness is using our ability to form habits to our advantage. It takes a lot of energy to make decisions all day long, so the more good habits you can create, the less energy you have to spend on deciding what to do for the small things. That way you have the most energy to focus in on the key business decisions you need to make.
7. Build a winning team. Playing solo (AKA perfectionism) might have gotten you this far, but it’s not going to get you to your full potential. The best and biggest accomplishments are never achieved by a single person. Invest in the right kinds of relationships that complement your weaknesses and allow you to focus on your strengths. When hiring, make sure you hire for attitude over skills. Skills can be taught; attitude can’t.
8. Live a life of service. You can achieve greatness by just focusing on pursuing your own selfish interests, but it’s not going to feel great. You’ll discover quickly that greatness which only serves you is empty. Build giving back and serving others into your business and you’ll find success and fulfillment long before you reach your revenue goals.