Continuing with our New Year’s resolution theme, aside from things you can do at work to make and save more money, there are ways you can make yourself just feel better inside and outside. Consider these New Year’s resolutions not only for your own well-being, but also for the potential boost in productivity (and in your savings).
1. Embrace your natural hair texture and color. Not only will your hair be healthier without all the chemicals and heat styling, you’ll also save a ton of money on products and a lot of time you’d otherwise use straightening or curling your hair. Chances are whatever you were born with is beautiful!
2. Take short, cold showers. Studies have shown that cold showers are really good for you, boosting your immune system and metabolism. Additionally, they also make you more alert and energized for the rest of the day.
3. Use drugstore makeup. Seriously, if nothing else, use drugstore mascara. If you have to replace something every three months, why bother blowing so much cash on it? (As someone who needs about five coats of mascara just to look like a normal person who isn’t wearing any, I recommend Maybelline Illegal Lengths or CoverGirl Lash Blast Fusion. Neither manufacturer paid me for this or know that I exist, so don’t worry.)
4. Pack your own lunch from home. You’ll save yourself a bunch of calories and money. If you’re in a hurry or stuck at your desk through lunch, order meal bars in bulk and keep them stashed in your drawer. When I’m busy I like to grab Luna bars, especially the Lemon Zest and Chocolate Peppermint Stick flavors. Again, that’s not any kind of paid endorsement. I mean, I wish.
5. Energize without a latte. Work out at home. Walk one further subway stop a day before work. Go for a brisk walk on your lunch break or just do a lap around the office next time you get up to pee. Also, get a hula hoop. For real. My abs could lift a car just from hooping while watching Jeopardy after work.
6. Seriously, go to bed earlier. What are you really missing late at night? Booty calls? Potential hangovers? Be an adult. There’s nothing lame about taking care of yourself, and anyone who acts like there is just needs to grow up already.
7. Drugstore lotion and body wash works wonders. I love the smell of lotions and body washes from specialty stores, but I find that the most moisturizing ones are usually right across from the tampons at the drugstore. Generic lavender-scented baby lotion? Smooth. Heavenly. Soothing.
8. Take advantage of semi annual sales while you still can. I always stock up on gift sets, candles, and other presents from shops like Bath and Body Works during their after-Christmas semi-annual sales. The product formulas don’t change, just the packaging. No one worth your time will notice or care by next December, and you’ll be a lot less stressed when the holidays roll around again.
9. Don’t be scared of tailoring. It will make all your clothes look better and potentially last longer, depending on what you’re having done.
10. Unplug. With very few exceptions, your boss will understand if you don’t reply to an email at 11pm on a Saturday night. Set boundaries and honor them.