The Walking Dead premiere is still on everyone’s minds and tongues. There are no spoilers here for the season six finale, so don’t worry. There’s just a lot of wisdom … and maybe some spoilers from previous seasons of The Walking Dead, but it’s not my fault if you’re not caught up. Here are life lessons from Michonne, Carol, Andrea, Beth, Maggie, Denise, Sasha, Tara, Enid, and Rosita that you can apply at work and beyond … and especially in the zombie apocalypse. (Sorry, nothing for Lori—I’m guessing you’re old enough to know how to do your laundry by now.)
1. Don’t let a mediocre man distract you from greatness.
Especially a sociopath. Have some standards.
2. Sometimes what looks like a setback is all part of a bigger plan.
Sure, sometimes it’s a plan that (spoiler alert) leads to your demise, but still.
3. There’s strength in being underestimated.
How else would Carol have become the badass, Terminus-raiding boss that she is if anyone suspected her of being so strong?
4. Sometimes you have to set out on your own.
It’s not necessarily bad. It builds character.
6. Stand by your girls.
Even when they make hopelessly stupid decisions. Don’t enable them, but don’t abandon them.
7. Don’t let your fear conquer you.
Use it as motivation.
8. Don’t let your personal life cripple your professional one.
Rosita could’ve had a meltdown after Abraham ditched her, but she kept on keeping on.
9. Don’t be afraid of letting someone else be the breadwinner.
If you have a man who wants to pull his weight, let him.
10. If you find a partner who loves and supports you, do the same for him.
Maggie and Glenn are the ultimate #relationshipgoals.