Topic: freelance

Workin’ Hard or Hardly Workin’: Where To Live To Work Less

Workin' Hard or Hardly Workin': Where To Live To Work Less

When I really couldn’t take being hemmed into a cubicle next to other disgruntled employees any longer, I would take a break and search the net for some masochistic research about how much better workers in other countries have it than we do in the United States. I would rub salt in my wounds by reading about the Kapauku people of Papua New Guinea, who think it’s bad luck to work two days in a row, or the !Kung Bushmen, who only work two and a half days a week and never for longer than six hours a day. More »

The Job Slut: 5 Things You Should Never Say To A Job Slut

The Job Slut: 5 Things You Should Never Say To A Job Slut

‘ve been a full-time freelancer for over a year. It’s been the most stimulating, character-building, nail-bitingly stressful experience of my professional life. And people love to talk about it.

I think it helps that I’m a writer. People who romanticize writing — about 85% of New Yorkers — throw around words like “craft” and “muse” and commend me for being brave for pursuing something creative. The other 15% say something stupid, like “Do you make any money?” or “Seriously, how are you paying your rent?”
More »